From offices to retail stores and even educational institutions, these places are designed with the safety of their customers in mind. The number of commercial places is higher in developed cities and major office markets.
According to recent data, St. Louis, along with other places like Memphis, is one of the major office markets in the US. In the last two years, space vacancies have risen. However, with people returning to offices, occupancies will likely increase.
Commercial property owners and managers take care that their places are safe. However, accidents can still happen in these spaces due to poor maintenance or lack of proper supervision. When this happens, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer who can handle all aspects of your case from the start till the end.
An Overview of Commercial Space Accidents
A commercial space accident is a personal injury that can occur when working in or visiting a workplace. These injuries are caused by accidents, which may be due to negligence by another party or parties.
Commercial space accidents can result in severe injuries and even death if proper safety measures aren’t taken. In fact, several statistics prove the severity of workplace accidents.
According to the International Labour Organization (ILO), there are around 6,000 workplace deaths worldwide daily. In the U.S., the private construction sector accounted for 19% of workplace deaths in 2021.
The number of total accidents is way more than that. The same article from ILO states that there are around 340 million workplace accidents annually. If anything like that happens, a personal injury lawyer can help you to get your rights. An attorney can also negotiate the proper settlement amount from the insurance company.
According to TorHoerman Law, you can seek financial compensation from the insurance company. However, insurers usually undervalue the injury and damages you have suffered. A lawyer can negotiate to get the highest compensation for your sufferings.
If the insurance company doesn’t agree to give you the proper compensation, your attorney can also help you take the legal approach. This ensures that no matter what, you will get justice. Hence, having a personal injury attorney by your side is vital.
When choosing a lawyer for your personal injury at the workplace, you should hire someone with the right experience in such cases. Additionally, you should also consider the location of the personal injury. Since every state can have different regulations around personal injuries, hiring a local lawyer is the right choice.
Consider the example of St. Louis. Being a major office market, many workplace accidents are happening there. In the summer of 2023, 3 teens died from workplace accidents in St. Louis. Duvan Perez became the third victim who got entangled in a conveyor belt and lost his life.
In such cases, hiring a St. Louis personal injury attorney is recommended. This is required so the lawyer knows all the local rules and regulations. Hence, a local attorney will have a better chance of helping you in the best possible way.
Factors That Can Lead to Accidents in Commercial Spaces
There are several factors that can lead to accidents in commercial spaces. The most common ones include:
- The number of people in the commercial space, ages, and physical abilities. For example, having many employees increases the chances of accidents.
- The size of your business’s commercial space and how much equipment or machinery is used there. If your company manufactures vehicle engines, there will be more danger than if all you do is sell dresses online!
- The type of business being conducted within this particular area. For example, does it involve working with dangerous chemicals? Does it involve heavy lifting? Or does it simply require standing around all day without doing anything interesting? You should also consider whether any potential hazards could arise from poor lighting or lack thereof.
Types of Accidents That Can Occur in Commercial Spaces
Slip and fall accidents are the most common type of injury in commercial spaces. These can occur when a spill, spillage, or obstruction on the floor causes someone to slip.
Falling objects can also cause injuries in commercial spaces. For example, if a loose piece of equipment hangs from the ceiling and falls onto someone below, it could cause severe injury. If the object is large and heavy, it can even lead to the victim’s death.
Electrical accidents are another common occurrence in this type of environment. This type of accident usually occurs with electrical workers who have to deal with electrical wires. One recent example of such an accident occurred in July 2023. A man doing electrical work in Calgary was hospitalized with severe injuries.
If you come into contact with any exposed wires while working at your job site, you may suffer an electric shock. This can result in burns and other injuries like broken bones or traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
The Role of Personal Injury Lawyers
A personal injury lawyer specializes in helping people recover compensation for injuries and damages caused by the negligence of others.
Here are some critical aspects of their role:
- Legal representation: Personal injury lawyers serve as legal advocates for employees who have suffered injuries in workplace accidents. They provide legal representation to help injured workers pursue compensation for their injuries.
- Investigation: Lawyers investigate the circumstances surrounding the workplace accident to determine liability. They gather evidence, interview witnesses, review company policies, and assess the extent of the injuries to build a strong case.
- Establishing liability: Personal injury lawyers work to establish liability on the part of the employer or other parties responsible for the accident. This may involve proving negligence, inadequate safety measures, or violations of workplace regulations.
- Calculating damages: Lawyers evaluated the damages sustained by the injured party, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and long-term disability. They use this information to determine an appropriate compensation amount.
- Negotiation: In many cases, personal injury lawyers negotiate with the employer’s insurance company or legal representatives to reach a fair settlement. They use their legal expertise to ensure their client receives adequate compensation.
- Litigation: If negotiations fail to produce a satisfactory outcome, personal injury lawyers may take the case to court. They will represent their clients during the trial, presenting evidence and arguments to a judge or jury.
- Compliance with regulations: Personal injury lawyers know federal and state labor laws and workplace safety regulations. They ensure that their client’s rights are protected and that employers adhere to legal requirements.
- Advocacy for fair treatment: These lawyers strongly advocate for their clients’ rights. They ensure injured workers are treated fairly and receive the compensation they need to recover from their injuries and support their families.
- Preventative measures: In some cases, personal injury lawyers may work with their clients and employers to implement safety measures and prevent future workplace accidents. This can involve improving workplace safety protocols and training.
Steps to Take After a Commercial Space Accident
After a commercial space accident, you should:
- Call an ambulance. If someone is injured and/or bleeding, getting them medical attention immediately is important.
- Call the police. You may need their help with crowd control or keeping witnesses safe. Police can also take victims’ statements for use in the investigation.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible so they can assess what happened. This will allow them to determine whether compensation will be available for those involved in this accident. You’ll also want to ask them if there are any ways that they can help protect your interests.
How to Choose the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
When you’re looking for the right personal injury lawyer, there are a few things to keep in mind. First and foremost, you want someone with experience handling commercial space accidents in your state.
The law can vary significantly from one jurisdiction to another. So, your lawyer must understand what local laws say about liability for injuries caused by dangerous conditions on the job site.
Secondly, your attorney must have experience with the type of accident at work. You’ll also want someone who understands how companies operate. Thirdly, you should also consider the costs of hiring a personal injury lawyer for workplace accidents.
According to salary.com, the average hourly charge of a personal injury lawyer in the US is $42. You can sometimes pay from compensation, whereas a few may directly charge you. So, this is important information.
If you are injured in a workplace accident, it is best to seek the help of a personal injury lawyer. They can guide you through the process and protect your rights. However, you need to select the right lawyer for your case. Consider costs, location, experience, etc., and select wisely.